Almost Guiltless Chocolate Cake with Whole Wheat and Raspberries
Emergency Essentials - October 30, 2012
This great cake recipe uses very little oil and refined sugar, and uses whole wheat for part of the flour! Find a new delicious way to use food storage and make a more healthy dessert, too.
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup dehydrated applesauce^
1 cup freeze-dried raspberries^
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
^Reconstitute egg, applesauce, and raspberries before using. Follow directions on #10 can to reconstitute.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a seperate bowl, whip egg with syrup, oil, and applesauce. Add to dry ingredients. Beat well to blend.
4. Pour batter into 8" x 9" or 9" x 9" baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Bake about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
6. Invert onto cake platter. Serve with slices of raspberries. Dust with powdered sugar.
© Emergency Essentials for LDS Living, 2012.