Dave Says: Lost Job, Might Move
Dave Ramsey - March 13, 2012
I have two job offers with varying pros and cons, including one with a move. What do you think?Dear Dave,
The job I have currently is about to be phased out, and I’m looking at two other offers. The pay for both is the same. One is short-term, nine months to a year, and it has a per diem so I wouldn’t have to move. The other job would last much longer, but I’d have to move and that would throw me about $3,500 further into debt. This company acts like it doesn’t want to help with the moving expenses, but I think I’d like the job better. What do you think I should do?
I’d move. And I’d also try to negotiate the heck out of this company and get them to foot some of the bill for the move.
If you’re valuable enough, and they like you enough to want you on their team, then I’d use that as a negotiating point before accepting the position. Tell them that you really want the job and you’re excited about it, but the only thing holding you back is $3,500 in moving costs.
You never know until you ask. And at that point they may see the wisdom of kicking in some cash to make it easier for you to decide!
For more financial advice please visit daveramsey.com.